Monday, July 20, 2009

Drumroll Please...

I found out last week that I'll be having a....GIRL! I'm so incredibly positively excited. My baby girl is on the way! I went to visit another doctor not really sure under what pretense, oh how I love being in the loop. Not too long into the visit I figured out why I was actually there. I have hydrocephalus, which basically means that the fluid around my brain at one time was causing pressure and close to unbearable pain. So I have a shunt which is a tube that drains out the fluid and I haven't had a problem since. The thing is it's usually something that can be caught at birth. In my case I suffered some sort of trauma that started this and it wasn't until I was twenty-three that it started to hurt & that's when I had the surgery, so that was one thing they wanted to check. On my last visit with my doctor I had blood work done to check for down syndrome and other possible defects the baby could be born with. They told me that if I didn't hear from them that everything was normal. Well the good news is I didn't hear back from them and at my appointment the doctor told me that my results were normal! Before the doctor came in to see me the ultrasound tech measured all her limbs and checked her weight. While she was trying to do that it was amazing to see how much moving she was doing in there. It was so funny! I couldn't believe this tiny little person (PS-she's only like ten ounces) was twisting and turning in there. I'm also not sure how all that's going to feel once I can actually feel it...lol! But when the doctor came in to check her spine, heart and skull she had gotten cozy in one particular position. He said that was pretty normal and she might not move for a day or two so after trying to coax her to move he eventually gave up and told me that I would have to return so that he could be positive there was nothing to be alarmed about. So until then I'm optimistically cautious....

mommy to be. XOXO

No comments: